#1 Selimo/Newy

Selimo/Newy

Hottielovin' Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationChania Greece

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

I am posting Mousaka! I love it ,has lots of calories but it's delicious!

ibtQ62zX0ej8nq.gifsummer_071.gif

#2 Selimo/Newy

Selimo/Newy

Hottielovin' Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationChania Greece

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:35 PM

Stifado

#3 Selimo/Newy

Selimo/Newy

Hottielovin' Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationChania Greece

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:37 PM

Tzatziki-my favorite greek sauce

#4 Selimo/Newy

Selimo/Newy

Hottielovin' Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationChania Greece

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

Greek meatballs-watch this video guys ,it's so funny!They are the cutest couple!

#5 ❤PeRi❤

❤PeRi❤

PsychoAngel.... ☀

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts
  • LocationGözleriyle Konuşan Adam...

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

Hahahaha!This Cypriot-Greek couple is how my parents will be when they get old! :D :D

By the way from the Greek food you posted i eat only the last one! :P

tumblr_m88poz4NWK1rwp5z8o1_500.gif

ibdtK9mqUxwZ6o.gif

#6 Selimo/Newy

Selimo/Newy

Hottielovin' Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationChania Greece

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

Seriously!You don't eat mousaka,or tzatzili? :o I love all of them!! :P

#7 ❤PeRi❤

❤PeRi❤

PsychoAngel.... ☀

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:09 PM

I eat only specific mousaka! :rolleyes:

Galaktoboureko

Posted Image

Galaktoboureko (γαλακτομπούρεκο) is a Greek dessert of semolina-based custard (sometimes flavored with lemon or orange) in phyllo. It may be made in a pan, with phyllo layered on top and underneath, or rolled into individual servings (often approximately 10 cm long). It is served or coated with a clear, sweet syrup.

Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 90 minutes
Yield: Approximately 24 pieces
Ingredients:

For the filling:
6 cups milk
1-1/4 cup fine semolina (you can substitute Farina)
6 egg yolks
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 tbsp. unsalted butter
For the syrup:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 inch piece of lemon rind
2 inch piece of orange rind
Juice of 1/2 a lemon
1 lb. phyllo pastry sheets
1/2 lb. unsalted butter, melted (for brushing)

Preparation:
Make the Filling: In a large saucepan, heat the milk over medium high heat until just boiling. Add the semolina and stir with a whisk. Lower the heat to medium low.

Using a whisk, beat the egg yolks with the sugar. Ladle a cup of the warmed milk into the egg mixture to temper and then add the egg yolk mixture to the pot.

Continue to cook over medium low heat until the cream starts to thicken, stirring continuously.

When the custard has thickened, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and the butter. Set aside.

Unwrap the Phyllo:Carefully remove the Phyllo roll from the plastic sleeve. Most packages come in 12 x 18 inch sheets when opened fully. Using a scissor or sharp knife, cut the sheets in half to make two stacks of 9x12 inch sheets. To prevent drying, cover one stack with wax paper and a damp paper towel while working with the other.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Assemble the Galaktoboureko: Using a pastry brush, brush the bottom and sides of a 9 x 12 rectangular pan. You will use approximately half the phyllo sheets for the bottom of the pastry. Begin by layering sheets one by one in the bottom of the pan, making sure to brush each one thoroughly with melted butter.

When you have almost layered half the sheets, drape two sheets of phyllo so that they extend half in the pan and half out of the pan horizontally. Add the custard in an even layer on top of the sheets, smoothing the surface with a spatula. Fold the phyllo sheet flaps in over the custard layer. Add the remaining sheets on top, brushing each sheet with melted butter.

Before baking, score the top layer of phyllo (making sure not to puncture the filling layer) to enable easier cutting of pieces later. I place the pan in the freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes to harden the top layers and then use a serrated knife.

Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the phyllo turns a deep golden color.

While the Galaktoboureko is baking, prepare the syrup: Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and add the lemon peel and orange peel. Boil over medium high heat for approximately 10 – 15 minutes. Remove the lemon and orange peel and stir in the lemon juice. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Caution: Do not pour hot syrup over the hot custard. Allow both to cool to room temperature and then carefully ladle the syrup over the galaktoboureko and allow time for it to be absorbed.

ibdtK9mqUxwZ6o.gif

#8 ❤PeRi❤

❤PeRi❤

PsychoAngel.... ☀

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:23 PM

Pastitsio
Posted Image

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfzs97BPyM0&feature=fvwrel

ibdtK9mqUxwZ6o.gif

#9 ❤PeRi❤

❤PeRi❤

PsychoAngel.... ☀

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:29 PM

Giouvetsi

Posted Image

I was craving some good home style comfort food and one of the top recipes in my bookmarks was this one for chicken giouvetsi from Kalofagas. Giouvetsi is a one pot Greek dish where the meat is baked along with the pasta. The recipe for giouvetsi is quite simple and I realized immediately that the secret was that while the meat is cooking its juices drip right into the pasta where its flavours are absorbed. I really like one pot meals like this because they generally required very little preparation and then you can relax while the whole meal cooks all at once. For the pasta I used some whole wheat orzo to make it a touch healthier. The chicken giouvetsi was pretty easy to make and the hardest part was quartering the whole chicken though you could easily just use chicken legs and or breasts to save some time. The simple sounding recipe really belies the amazing flavour of this dish! While baking, all of the flavours have plenty of time to mingle and become good friends and every bite right down to the last piece of orzo on the plate was tasty and full of flavour. For even more flavour feel free to garnish the meal with some grated kefalotyri or pecorino romano cheese.

Chicken Giouvetsi(You can put any kind of meat you want ;))
(makes 4+ servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
1 large onion (chopped)
1 cubanelle pepper (chopped)
1 1/2 cups orzo (I used whole wheat)
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup tomato puree
salt and pepper to taste
1 whole chicken (separated into pieces)

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a pan.
2. Add the onion and pepper and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the orzo and toast for a few minutes.
4. Add the stock and tomato puree and season with salt and pepper.
5. Bring to a boil and transfer to a baking dish along with the chicken.
6. Bake in a preheated 375F oven until the liquid has been absorbed and the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.

ibdtK9mqUxwZ6o.gif

#10 ❤PeRi❤

❤PeRi❤

PsychoAngel.... ☀

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 08:35 PM

Greek Profiterole

Posted Image

Profiteroles in Greece (Greek: Προφιτερόλ, Profiteról) are served in a bowl, covered with chocolate sauce, and topped with whipped cream. :P

ibdtK9mqUxwZ6o.gif

#11 ʚϊɞ Mürat ❥

ʚϊɞ Mürat ❥

BabyAngel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,115 posts
  • Location♥ Disney Land ♥

Posted 07 July 2011 - 09:03 PM

Peri .. I lOve Pastitsio .. we eat it here too !! :lol:
Posted Image
Whose banner iam going to steal next ?! :th_evil3:

#12 Meltem

Meltem

VİP In The Cool Club

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,098 posts
  • LocationRiyadh, KSA

Posted 12 July 2011 - 06:20 PM

It ALL looks delicious! I LOVE Greek food. When I lived in the States, I would plan to go to the annual Greek Festival every year - mostly to watch handsome men dance with bottles on their heads and eat my weight in yummy food. :) Thanks for sharing!

i10KanHpM89p6.gif ib1SrKrmeRQPBM.gif

"A woman would run through fire and water for such a kind heart."

#13 Muni(R)

Muni(R)

EvilAngel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,052 posts
  • LocationIn the Coven, performing Bitchcraft.

Posted 09 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

Jamie Oliver "Food Escape - Athens".
I love this guy, his shows are very nice. Here he's in Greece.

tthb.jpg

#14 kelebek

kelebek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

In honor of Frappe Day here's some info for frappe newbies from Kelly's Diner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvdD3g-PKug

Coffee and Cuture in Greece

Posted Image

For most Greeks, the consumption of coffee constitutes a beloved habit, a daily ritual, a fundamental addiction. Almost all of the adult population, and not only, have made the pleasure of drinking coffee an inseparable part of their lives.

As other nationalities throughout the world have, so too have the Greeks modified their cultural customs according to the consumption of coffee, a custom in its own right which is nourished by the general way of life and the temperament of the people.

As such, it is characteristic that the enjoyment of drinking coffee is not represented by a fleeting instant in one’s busy day, but a prolonged recess, which becomes the motive for socializing and interaction.

The Greeks do not prefer to drink their coffee from a plastic cup, standing up, in a hurry on their way to work.

On the contrary, it is customary to find a Greek in café, sitting down for hours on end, combining his daily dose of caffeine with a variety of other things.

In particular, the many cafeterias which are found in almost all of the central areas and neighbourhoods of Athens as well as in the countryside, are meeting points for social contact and enjoyment, appealing equally to the young, as to the more mature crowd who devote many hours a week there, to meet friends, and exchange news.

In an attractively designed environment accompanied by music, widely diversified, according to the style and atmosphere each owner wishes to convey, the patrons are required to choose from a variety of coffee types {most of the varieties of coffee available worldwide} and other hot and cold drinks, alcoholic drinks, sweets and snacks.

For those with an enthusiasm for technology, there are of course internet coffee shops available.

The traditional Greek coffee: The Greek coffee is served hot in a small cup and saucer. It is prepared very easily and quickly in boiling water. The various proportions, or, the absence of sugar and milk, undoubtedly, determine the taste.

Apart from the traditional Greek coffee, Greeks also prefer the frappe. This (as shown above in the video) comprises of a chilled glass of strong coffee, served in a tall glass and apart from sugar and milk, may also contain ice-cream. The frappe is especially preferred during the summer months.

A variety of coffee especially popular in Greece, is Nescafe. It is prepared quite easily with boiling water, preferred hot with sugar, and is served in a cup with saucer.

Take away coffee: For those who yearn to enjoy a quick cup of coffee, there are various locations where one may purchase one, apart from the cafes. Throughout all of the central streets of Athens, and in the suburbs, there are at least 2 or 3 casual snack bars per area, serving coffee, not to mention the fast food chain stores. The prices are clearly less expensive, with relation to café prices, although there is definitely not the same variety to choose from.

Traditional coffee shops:
For those who adore tradition, and the old customary way of life, the traditional coffee shops or “kafeneia” can be found. It is true to say that in the 21st century, in Athens, there are only a few that retain the traditional style, mainly located within the suburbs. A tourist may see them more often in the countryside, at the main squares or “plateias” of villages or small towns.
The atmosphere is traditional, the comforts minimal in relation to cafes, and the selection of coffee offered, is limited.

The patrons usually represent the mature-old age bracket, and are usually very familiar with one another.

They are best described as one large group who assemble together to pass their time whilst gathering and exchanging information about the news of the day.

Source: http://mybloglovegre...eek-frappe.html
Posted Image

#15 ❤PeRi❤

❤PeRi❤

PsychoAngel.... ☀

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 860 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

My precious Frappe! :P

By the way they could shake it with hand if they wanted to call it traditional :sign42: !!

:D

ibdtK9mqUxwZ6o.gif

#16 kelebek

kelebek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

I've never had one - i'll have to try it :D It looks delicious !!
Posted Image

#17 Gül

Gül

Pinky Stinky Roomie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,584 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:42 AM

thx Selim , peri and Munir :roseg-smiley: these look yummy

M0vLnl.png

#18 Vasilia

Vasilia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:20 PM

Greek meatballs-watch this video guys ,it's so funny!They are the cutest couple!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNvjhrzDctA&feature=related

OMG!!! haha! i love them! :moque:
i will start to believe that all the greek grandparents are the same

#19 Vasilia

Vasilia

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,413 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:50 PM

Greek salad (horiatiki)
it is healthy, perfect for the summer and very quick and easy to make it (even i can make it :rolleyes: )
Attached File  greek-salad-new.jpg   51.5KB   1 downloads

The Greek horiatiki Salad
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Serves: 4
Ingredients:
  • 2 tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 small cucumber, sliced
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 Green bell pepper
  • Feta cheese, cut in small cubes
  • Black olives from Kalamata
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Wine vinegar
  • Salt
  • Oregano
  • Freshly ground pepper (optional)
Directions

Wash and cut all the vegetables. Add the olive oil, vinegar, oregano and salt and mix well. Add feta and olives on the top with a sprinkle of oregano on feta.

http://kopiaste.org/2007/11/horiariki-salata-cypriot-and-greek-village-salads/

#20 Selimo/Newy

Selimo/Newy

Hottielovin' Angel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
  • LocationChania Greece

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:03 PM

Bravo Vasilia! I totally forgot about this thread! C'mon we have lots of Greks..lets post lots of food :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users