• Announcements

• Important!   07/27/2015

Remember, that there is now a one limit  gif per signature. Only one. Thank You!    Also Remember that all members need to use their "Display Names" to log into the forum from now on!

Greek Food!

56 posts in this topic

Posted

I am posting Mousaka! I love it ,has lots of calories but it's delicious!

Posted

Stifado

Posted

Tzatziki-my favorite greek sauce

Posted

Greek meatballs-watch this video guys ,it's so funny!They are the cutest couple!

Posted

Hahahaha!This Cypriot-Greek couple is how my parents will be when they get old! :D :D

By the way from the Greek food you posted i eat only the last one! :P

Posted

Seriously!You don't eat mousaka,or tzatzili? :o I love all of them!! :P

Posted

I eat only specific mousaka! :rolleyes:

Galaktoboureko

galaktoboureko.jpg

Galaktoboureko (γαλακτομπούρεκο) is a Greek dessert of semolina-based custard (sometimes flavored with lemon or orange) in phyllo. It may be made in a pan, with phyllo layered on top and underneath, or rolled into individual servings (often approximately 10 cm long). It is served or coated with a clear, sweet syrup.

Prep Time: 45 minutes

Cook Time: 45 minutes

Total Time: 90 minutes

Yield: Approximately 24 pieces

Ingredients:

For the filling:

6 cups milk

1-1/4 cup fine semolina (you can substitute Farina)

6 egg yolks

1/2 cup sugar

1 tbsp. vanilla extract

2 tbsp. unsalted butter

For the syrup:

1 cup sugar

1 cup water

2 inch piece of lemon rind

2 inch piece of orange rind

Juice of 1/2 a lemon

1 lb. phyllo pastry sheets

1/2 lb. unsalted butter, melted (for brushing)

Preparation:

Make the Filling: In a large saucepan, heat the milk over medium high heat until just boiling. Add the semolina and stir with a whisk. Lower the heat to medium low.

Using a whisk, beat the egg yolks with the sugar. Ladle a cup of the warmed milk into the egg mixture to temper and then add the egg yolk mixture to the pot.

Continue to cook over medium low heat until the cream starts to thicken, stirring continuously.

When the custard has thickened, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract and the butter. Set aside.

Unwrap the Phyllo:Carefully remove the Phyllo roll from the plastic sleeve. Most packages come in 12 x 18 inch sheets when opened fully. Using a scissor or sharp knife, cut the sheets in half to make two stacks of 9x12 inch sheets. To prevent drying, cover one stack with wax paper and a damp paper towel while working with the other.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Assemble the Galaktoboureko: Using a pastry brush, brush the bottom and sides of a 9 x 12 rectangular pan. You will use approximately half the phyllo sheets for the bottom of the pastry. Begin by layering sheets one by one in the bottom of the pan, making sure to brush each one thoroughly with melted butter.

When you have almost layered half the sheets, drape two sheets of phyllo so that they extend half in the pan and half out of the pan horizontally. Add the custard in an even layer on top of the sheets, smoothing the surface with a spatula. Fold the phyllo sheet flaps in over the custard layer. Add the remaining sheets on top, brushing each sheet with melted butter.

Before baking, score the top layer of phyllo (making sure not to puncture the filling layer) to enable easier cutting of pieces later. I place the pan in the freezer for about 10 to 15 minutes to harden the top layers and then use a serrated knife.

Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes or until the phyllo turns a deep golden color.

While the Galaktoboureko is baking, prepare the syrup: Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan and add the lemon peel and orange peel. Boil over medium high heat for approximately 10 – 15 minutes. Remove the lemon and orange peel and stir in the lemon juice. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.

Caution: Do not pour hot syrup over the hot custard. Allow both to cool to room temperature and then carefully ladle the syrup over the galaktoboureko and allow time for it to be absorbed.

Posted

Pastitsio

Pastitsio.jpg

Posted

Giouvetsi

Giouvetsi.jpg

I was craving some good home style comfort food and one of the top recipes in my bookmarks was this one for chicken giouvetsi from Kalofagas. Giouvetsi is a one pot Greek dish where the meat is baked along with the pasta. The recipe for giouvetsi is quite simple and I realized immediately that the secret was that while the meat is cooking its juices drip right into the pasta where its flavours are absorbed. I really like one pot meals like this because they generally required very little preparation and then you can relax while the whole meal cooks all at once. For the pasta I used some whole wheat orzo to make it a touch healthier. The chicken giouvetsi was pretty easy to make and the hardest part was quartering the whole chicken though you could easily just use chicken legs and or breasts to save some time. The simple sounding recipe really belies the amazing flavour of this dish! While baking, all of the flavours have plenty of time to mingle and become good friends and every bite right down to the last piece of orzo on the plate was tasty and full of flavour. For even more flavour feel free to garnish the meal with some grated kefalotyri or pecorino romano cheese.

Chicken Giouvetsi(You can put any kind of meat you want ;))

(makes 4+ servings)

Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon oil

1 large onion (chopped)

1 cubanelle pepper (chopped)

1 1/2 cups orzo (I used whole wheat)

6 cups chicken stock

1 cup tomato puree

salt and pepper to taste

1 whole chicken (separated into pieces)

Directions:

1. Heat the oil in a pan.

2. Add the onion and pepper and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.

3. Add the orzo and toast for a few minutes.

4. Add the stock and tomato puree and season with salt and pepper.

5. Bring to a boil and transfer to a baking dish along with the chicken.

6. Bake in a preheated 375F oven until the liquid has been absorbed and the top is golden brown, about 45 minutes.

Posted

Greek Profiterole

12102514032166_profiterole.jpg

Profiteroles in Greece (Greek: Προφιτερόλ, Profiteról) are served in a bowl, covered with chocolate sauce, and topped with whipped cream. :P

Posted

Peri .. I lOve Pastitsio .. we eat it here too !! :lol:

Posted

It ALL looks delicious! I LOVE Greek food. When I lived in the States, I would plan to go to the annual Greek Festival every year - mostly to watch handsome men dance with bottles on their heads and eat my weight in yummy food. :) Thanks for sharing!

Posted

In honor of Frappe Day here's some info for frappe newbies from Kelly's Diner

Coffee and Cuture in Greece

1.jpg

For most Greeks, the consumption of coffee constitutes a beloved habit, a daily ritual, a fundamental addiction. Almost all of the adult population, and not only, have made the pleasure of drinking coffee an inseparable part of their lives.

As other nationalities throughout the world have, so too have the Greeks modified their cultural customs according to the consumption of coffee, a custom in its own right which is nourished by the general way of life and the temperament of the people.

As such, it is characteristic that the enjoyment of drinking coffee is not represented by a fleeting instant in one’s busy day, but a prolonged recess, which becomes the motive for socializing and interaction.

The Greeks do not prefer to drink their coffee from a plastic cup, standing up, in a hurry on their way to work.

On the contrary, it is customary to find a Greek in café, sitting down for hours on end, combining his daily dose of caffeine with a variety of other things.

In particular, the many cafeterias which are found in almost all of the central areas and neighbourhoods of Athens as well as in the countryside, are meeting points for social contact and enjoyment, appealing equally to the young, as to the more mature crowd who devote many hours a week there, to meet friends, and exchange news.

In an attractively designed environment accompanied by music, widely diversified, according to the style and atmosphere each owner wishes to convey, the patrons are required to choose from a variety of coffee types {most of the varieties of coffee available worldwide} and other hot and cold drinks, alcoholic drinks, sweets and snacks.

For those with an enthusiasm for technology, there are of course internet coffee shops available.

The traditional Greek coffee: The Greek coffee is served hot in a small cup and saucer. It is prepared very easily and quickly in boiling water. The various proportions, or, the absence of sugar and milk, undoubtedly, determine the taste.

Apart from the traditional Greek coffee, Greeks also prefer the frappe. This (as shown above in the video) comprises of a chilled glass of strong coffee, served in a tall glass and apart from sugar and milk, may also contain ice-cream. The frappe is especially preferred during the summer months.

A variety of coffee especially popular in Greece, is Nescafe. It is prepared quite easily with boiling water, preferred hot with sugar, and is served in a cup with saucer.

Take away coffee: For those who yearn to enjoy a quick cup of coffee, there are various locations where one may purchase one, apart from the cafes. Throughout all of the central streets of Athens, and in the suburbs, there are at least 2 or 3 casual snack bars per area, serving coffee, not to mention the fast food chain stores. The prices are clearly less expensive, with relation to café prices, although there is definitely not the same variety to choose from.

Traditional coffee shops:

For those who adore tradition, and the old customary way of life, the traditional coffee shops or “kafeneia” can be found. It is true to say that in the 21st century, in Athens, there are only a few that retain the traditional style, mainly located within the suburbs. A tourist may see them more often in the countryside, at the main squares or “plateias” of villages or small towns.

The atmosphere is traditional, the comforts minimal in relation to cafes, and the selection of coffee offered, is limited.

The patrons usually represent the mature-old age bracket, and are usually very familiar with one another.

They are best described as one large group who assemble together to pass their time whilst gathering and exchanging information about the news of the day.

Source: http://mybloglovegreece.blogspot.com/2011/07/hillary-clinton-what-is-greek-frappe.html

Posted

My precious Frappe! :P

By the way they could shake it with hand if they wanted to call it traditional :sign42: !!

:D

Posted

I've never had one - i'll have to try it :D It looks delicious !!

Posted

thx Selim , peri and Munir :roseg-smiley: these look yummy

Posted

Greek meatballs-watch this video guys ,it's so funny!They are the cutest couple!

OMG!!! haha! i love them! :moque:

i will start to believe that all the greek grandparents are the same

Posted

Greek salad (horiatiki)

it is healthy, perfect for the summer and very quick and easy to make it (even i can make it :rolleyes: )

post-2264-0-09640700-1337096932_thumb.jp

The Greek horiatiki Salad

Preparation time: 10 minutes

Serves: 4

Ingredients:

• 2 tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 small cucumber, sliced
  • 1 small onion, sliced
  • 1 Green bell pepper
  • Feta cheese, cut in small cubes
  • Black olives from Kalamata
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Wine vinegar
  • Salt
  • Oregano
  • Freshly ground pepper (optional)

Directions

Wash and cut all the vegetables. Add the olive oil, vinegar, oregano and salt and mix well. Add feta and olives on the top with a sprinkle of oregano on feta.

Posted

Bravo Vasilia! I totally forgot about this thread! C'mon we have lots of Greks..lets post lots of food :lol:

Posted

one of my favorites :faim: especially if you drink ouzo with.

Prawn (Garides) Saganaki

post-2264-0-57972000-1337357036_thumb.jp

If you like seafood and/or prawns, then you'll love this dish! It can be served as a starter or a side dish and is actually quite filling. The Greek drink ouzo is used as is Greek feta cheese, but you should be able to obtain both of these quite easily wherever you live. It is served in the individual ceramic bowls you can see in the photos and the bowls are placed in front of the guests piping hot! This recipe is for 4 of these bowls or servings.

Ingredients

800g prawns size 1

100g grated onion

300g chopped fresh tomatoes

200g feta cheese

100g chopped green pepper

1 hot green chilli pepper chopped

100 ml olive oil

2 cloves grated garlic

1 teaspoon chopped parsley

50 ml ouzo

Salt and pepper

Preparation

Remove the shell and the intestine from the prawns, leaving the head and tail, and cut in two.

Heat the olive oil in a frying pan and when it is hot, add the onion, garlic, green pepper and chilli pepper.

Fry for 2 minutes and then add the prawns and stir well.

Add the ouzo and continue cooking for another 2 minutes.

Add the tomatoes, parsley, salt and pepper and simmer for another 5 minutes.

Distribute the mixture evenly into 4 ceramic bowls – what we call saganaki bowls (see photo).

Cut the feta cheese into small cubes and place on top of each bowl.

Place the bowls under the grill long enough for the feta to melt and colour slightly.

Serve the 4 individual portions hot, adding some chopped fresh parsley on top if you wish.

i took the recipe from this site http://realgreekreci...s-saganaki.html

but i put another photo because this site had a photo from some giant prawns :blink: and they seemed a little frightening!

also,in the preparation it says that you should leave the head and the tail but i don't remember eating prawns with their head and tail :eyebrow:

Posted

Zucchini Fritters (Kolokithopitta)

post-2264-0-97758600-1337377054_thumb.jp

These tasty fritters are very easy to prepare and can be served as one of several side dishes - they go nicely with

Tzatziki- or as a light snack on their own.

Ingredients

½ kg zucchini

1 medium onion grated

150g feta cheese crumbled

4 tablespoons breadcrumbs

1 tablespoon chopped parsley

1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint

3 medium size eggs – preferably

free range

200 ml sunflower oil

Salt and pepper

Preparation

Grate the zucchini and put it in a colander. Sprinkle salt on top and leave it to drain for 1 hour.

Beat the eggs lightly and place in a mixing bowl.

Add the rest of the ingredients.

Drain the zucchini well between the palms of your hands and add to the mixture.

Mix all the ingredients lightly.

Put the oil in a frying pan and heat well.

To make each fritter use a tablespoon to take a scoop from the mixture and with the aid of another spoon push it into the frying pan.

Fry the fritters for a few minutes until they are nicely browned.

Continue until all the mixture has been used.

Posted

Greek Tirokafteri (Spicy Cheese Dip)

post-2264-0-78205200-1337377733_thumb.jp

This is a traditional spicy cheese dish, which can be served as a meze with ouzo or beer, or as a dip. It is quick and easy to make.

Ingredients

2 ounces green chili peppers (the variety which is about 20cm long)

½ kg feta cheese

¼ kg ricotta cheese (Greek anthotiro is better, if you can get it)

3 teaspoonfuls lemon juice

100ml extra virgin olive oil

Preparation

Wash the peppers, remove the stalk and the seeds and cut them in two.

Boil them for a quarter of an hour until the skin separates from the body and then remove the skin (use gloves to do that otherwise you will suffer an unpleasant hot feeling in

your hands).

Put them with the rest of the ingredients in a liquidizer and mix them well.

Place it in a bowl and serve with grilled or fried vegetables or as a dip.

Posted

Rosiki salata / Russian salad

No, it is not Russian :P but for some reason we call it like this!

post-2264-0-21500600-1337377897_thumb.jp

• 4 potatoes
  • 4 carrots
  • 1 cup green peas
  • 1 small finely chopped pickled cucumber and / or 2 tablespoons capers
  • 1,5 cup mayonnaise, (more if you want it to be totally Greek)
  • salt, pepper
  • 3 hard-boiled eggs
  • parsley for garnish. (If you want to garnish, that is)

Boil the potatoes, carrots and peas separately, and cool them. Cut the potatoes and carrots in cubes and mix them with peas and pickled cucumber / capers. Then mix in mayonnaise with salt and pepper. Chop two of the eggs and fold them in, garnish with the last egg. Sprinkle with chopped parsley.

As a variation you can substitute the potatoes with “gigantes”, large white beans/butter beans. Boil them yourself or buy canned. This way, the salad tastes more Greek, somehow.

By the way it’s quicker to make this if you cut the potatoes and carrots in cubes before you cook them. Some of the nutrients vanishes in the water, but if you’re busy …

http://greatgreekfood.wordpress.com/2010/10/18/rosiki/

all the dishes above along with ouzo(or tsipouro) and good company is one of the biggest pleasures in life for me :D

Posted

What about Gyros? Isnt it greek also? :)