Meltem

All Things Books III

2,233 posts in this topic

Welcome to All Things Books (ATB) III...:4xvim2p:

ILDiiXQ.jpg

Veiled Circassian woman, Jean Leon Gerome

Edited by Meltem

OMG, what do we have here?? A new thread!! Kaloriziko as we say in greek (καλορίζικο= with a good destiny):loveshower::loveshower::loveshower:

IIltU6L.jpg

pzQfQOS.jpg

2YmNSuU.jpg

Indian artists adopted the technique of painting portrait miniatures on ivory with watercolors from British artists living and working in India during the 19th century. This delicate bracelet is, therefore, an interesting example of the cultural exchange between East and West during the period of European imperialism.

»»-------------¤-------------«« »»-------------¤-------------«« »»-------------¤-------------«« »»-------------¤-------------««
1 minute ago, lorelai said:

OMG, what do we have here?? A new thread!! Kaloriziko as we say in greek (καλορίζικο= with a good destiny):loveshower::loveshower::loveshower:

Thanks! Yes, our treasure chest was full, so to speak...so we needed to open another. :heartshape2:

:crying: Unimaginable! 

zVbBWxB.jpg

Greek, Tetradrachm of Ephesos, 387-301 BC

v32Et3x.jpg

Greek coin, circa 500-480 BC, with an octopus on it.

If I found these coins, I'd carry them every day of my life. Uff! :mf_cupid:

L5V7rRK.jpg

A compendium/encyclopedia of medicine entitled Zakhirah-i Khvarazmshahi, composed by Zayn al-Din al-Jurjani (died 531 AH/AD 1136). It was copied by Muhammad ibn Ma'ruf ibn Mahammad al-Zarir (?) al-Kazaruni Shirani in 889 AH/AD 1484. The text opens with a double-page illuminated incipit with verses alluding to the title of the work.

LThN1c2.jpg

Elbaite

Barra do Salinas, Coronel Murta, Jequitinhonha Valley, Minas Gerais, Brazil

Congrats on the third installment, ladies!  :rosesmile:

28 minutes ago, Angel/Poyraz said:

Congrats on the third installment, ladies!  :rosesmile:

Thanks, Angel! :4xvim2p:

»»-------------¤-------------«« »»-------------¤-------------«« »»-------------¤-------------«« »»-------------¤-------------««

FmKeZxT.jpg

HQeN8kW.jpg

:mfr_lol:

Good Morning, Book Loving Friends...oLJmn2J.gifLPd3Rnd.gif

Postive Mind

Postive Vibes

Positive Life

ajfRO4p.jpg

"The things you take for granted

someone else is praying for."

IT8gZBD.jpg

"Face your fears, or they will climb over your back."

~ Frank Herbert

fkWRsj7.jpg

"Don't say maybe if you want to say no."

~ Paulo Coelho

w8TwPqX.jpg

"It's not your job to like me - it's mine."

~ Byron Katie

w4ZPVOc.gif

"Never be defined by your past.

It was just a lesson,

not a life sentence."

lqtCGiN.jpg

"Don't get mad.

Don't get even.

Do better. Much better.

Rise above.

Become so engulfed in your own success

that you forget it ever happened."

3rvnZTn.jpg

Hope you all have a lovely day, canims...XBBydPf.gif  :download:

She walks with real purpose. :mfr_lol:

Good Morning Canlarım:heartshape2: Happy Sunday! May you have a beautiful day!!:4xvim2p::heartshape2:

5iTyNP1.jpg

T7xTnWu.jpg

A Partnership Larger Than Marriage:

The Stunning Love Letters of Kahlil Gibran and Mary Haskell

pKDY2o6.jpg

“You are like the Great Spirit, who befriends man not only to share his life, but to add to it. My knowing you is the greatest thing in my days and nights, a miracle quite outside the natural order of things.”

BY MARIA POPOVA

Nearly a century after his death, the Lebanese-American painter, poet, and philosopher Kahlil Gibran (January 6, 1883–April 10, 1931) endures as one of humanity’s most universally beloved voices of truth and transcendence. But there would have been no Gibran as we know and love him without the philanthropist and patron of the arts Mary Elizabeth Haskell — his greatest champion, frequent collaborator, and unusual beloved. 

Haskell and Gibran met on May 10, 1904, at a friend’s studio. He was twenty-one and she nearly thirty-one. Impressed with his art, Haskell soon offered to send Gibran to Paris to study painting, with a stipend of $75 a month, equivalent to about $2,000 today. He accepted. In a letter to a friend written shortly before he departed for Paris in 1908, Gibran described Haskell as “a she-angel who is ushering me toward a splendid future and paving for me the path to intellectual and financial success.” Shortly after arriving, he wrote: “The day will come when I shall be able to say, ‘I became an artist through Mary Haskell.'”

But the open hands of Haskell’s generosity branched from an equally open heart, from some larger kindness of which Gibran soon became enamored. He came to see her as more than a benefactress — a kindred spirit, a woman of uncommon tenderness, and, above all, a person willing to descend into the deepest trenches of his psyche and climb to its highest mounts in order to understand him, which he considered the greatest measure of love. It was through her generosity that he survived as an artist, and it was through her selfless love that he found himself as a man.

In one of his first letters to Haskell from Paris, Gibran captures what is perhaps the greatest gift of love, whatever its nature — the gift of being seen by the other for who one really is:

It seemed to me that it was the moment of the opening of the door between Kahlil and the world that shall love him and into whose heart he shall surely feel he is pouring his work. I think his future is not far away now!

And so I made up my mind to follow what seems to me the final finger of God — I put definitely to myself the possibility of being his wife. And though every waking hour since has been drenched with inner tears, I know I am right, and that the tears mean joy, not pain, for the future. My age is simply the barrier raised between us and the blunder of our marrying. Not my age constitutes the objection — but the fact that for Kahlil there waits a different love from that he bears me — an apocalypse of love — and that shall be his marriage. His greatest work will come out of that — his greatest happiness, his new, full life. And it is not many years distant. Toward the woman of that love, I am but a step. And though my susceptible eyes weep, I think of her with joy — and I don’t want to have Kahlil, because I know she is growing somewhere for him, and that he is growing for her.

RQ683Q7.jpg

Kahlil Gibran, “Four Faces,” heavily inspired by Haskell.

The following year, as Gibran continues to struggle, she grants him the ultimate gift of love — the equal embrace of his inner darkness and his inner light:

Your work is not only books and pictures. They are but bits of it. Your work is You, not less than you, not parts of you… These days when you “cannot work” are accomplishing it, are of it, like the days when you “can work.” There is no division. It is all one. Your living is all of it; anything less is part of it. — Your silence will be read with your writings some day, your darkness will be part of the Light.

xGjUrmh.jpg

Kahlil Gibran, “Spirit of Light”

When I am unhappy, dear Mary, I read your letters. When the mist overwhelms the “I” in me, I take two or three letters out of the little box and reread them. They remind me of my true self. They make me overlook all that is not high and beautiful in life. Each and every one of us, dear Mary, must have a resting place somewhere. The resting place of my soul is a beautiful grove where my knowledge of you lives.

Read other excerpts from the book:

https://www.brainpickings.org/2017/01/20/kahlil-gibran-mary-haskell-love-letters/?utm_source=Brain+Pickings&utm_campaign=82c21edbf8-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_01_27&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_179ffa2629-82c21edbf8-234369485&mc_cid=82c21edbf8&mc_eid=8702ff4814

Edited by Meltem

EHpCNZU.jpg

"Do not worry if all the candles in the world flicker and die.

We have the spark that starts the fire."

~ Rumi

Edited by Meltem

vtAJXId.jpg

:heartshape2:

S3KWPUd.jpg

Portion of an ancient Roman chain-link necklace with a lunula (miniature crescent),

decorated with filigree. Artist unknown; 1st cent. CE.

Warning! Much needed profanity inside. :fume:

Spoiler

nzHi81n.jpg

MANY WISHES FOR OUR  NEW PLACE!!!! And as Lorelai said in Greek καλορίζικο!!!

uwWDRUL.jpg

JiznUQL.jpg

One of my all-time favorite songs...:download:

Chocolates! :faim::download::wub2-smiley-face:

Wow! That secretary cabinet was just amazing :wub:

Alanacim Wonderful posts:wub::heartshape2:

Edited by Diziashq